Thursday, January 7, 2010

A week in and 2010 already has been a year of significant changes

Personally, I'll count 2009 as the year of lessons learned. I'm happy to start 2010 and begin anew. Many of you have reached out to me in twitter (@rockyd) or email, FB, etc and asked about my status, personally and professionally - for which I'm very thankful. It is awesome to see some many people and organizations genuinely care about me - I'm humbled. We did make some changes late in 2009 that for all intents and purposes brought an end to Decurity as it was known. The full plan never quite panned out the way we all hoped it would. I joined EMC/RSA for a while and worked alongside some fantastic people over there, but in the end it just wasn't the right place for me. I resigned my position at RSA and took some time off to focus on my family, my health and to renew myself so that I could focus fully in 2010 and beyond.

Personally: I had let myself get way out of shape (mentally, spiritually and physically) and let my blood sugar reach levels that truly frightened everyone. I thought I was just more sweet, but when doctors start wondering why you're not in a coma it's time to pay attention. I joke about it a lot but I've learned to pay much closer attention now. Eventually, I hope to make it to P90X type workouts but for now I'm happy to be able to walk a few miles, a few times a week. It sucks when there is no one else to blame but yourself, but then again I know I can change my habits easier than trying to make many orgs think clearly about how to handle security risks.

Professionally: I'm currently in the midst of considering some fantastic opportunities from various organizations that have reached out to me. I can't tell you how lucky I feel to have so many believe in me. I'm delaying making a final decision until I'm a little healthier (should only be a few days). I want to ensure that whichever route I take it makes sense for me, the company, their user-base and the segment of the security industry I can influence. I'll let everyone know where I wind up once things settle down.

Another Note: I'm moving my personal blogging efforts over to securityoperations.blogspot.com. I'll probably dual post for a while as Decurity's blog has much more critical mass, but I'd imagine I'll keep up with securityoperations.blogspot.com more often from now on.

No comments: